Friday, July 21, 2017

Epic Road Trip - Day 4: Eleven Mile Canyon, Colorado

Monday, June 12, 2017

The raging winds kept me up for much of the night. I tossed and turned all night. At 5:18 a.m., I finally gave up and got out of bed. As I continued my morning routine of coffee at the reservoir, I was amazed at how smooth the lake was after a tumultuous night of high winds. I sat watching seagulls flying as the sun started to peek over the mountains. There were a few fishermen already on the lake.

I decided to drive over to Eleven Mile Canyon. It was a short drive from my campground. At 6:34 a.m., I was on the road. I didn't expect to see anyone out that early in the morning, especially on a Monday morning. I was wrong. There were fly fisherman and cyclists everywhere. I was driving slowly because the rough roads were like washboards. But other drivers were flying past me. I was worried about driving that fast on the roads because I thought it would shake my 4-Runner to pieces. My poor vehicle is already falling apart, I didn't want to do more damage. But, everyone else was moving on the roads quickly, so I decided to give a try. What a difference! In Oklahoma if you do that, you'll bounce right off the road. But not here!

 It was a perfect morning to be out. I even found some tunnels to drive through. There were campgrounds along the river, hiking trails, and apparently good spots to fish. I kept driving until I reached the dam area and turned around. Here are a few photos from the drive.










After Eleven Mile Canyon, I headed back to my campground. I needed to do some laundry and then I wasn't sure what I would do the rest of the day. The winds were high again and were only going to get worse throughout the day. I was worried about my tent blowing away and I was cranky from lack of sleep. While I was doing laundry, my daughter called. I was bored. I had seen all I wanted to see in the area for now. The winds were blowing so hard that I didn't even want to have my camera out in it with all the particles blowing in the air. It took me about five seconds to decide to pack up a day early and head back to Colorado Springs and spend the night with Caroline. By 12:40 p.m., I had my tent packed up, the 4-Runner was loaded, and I was on my way.  My plan was to spend one night with her and her new husband and get back on track the following day.





Day One: http://agnestakesaroadtrip.blogspot.com/2017/07/epic-road-trip-day-1-eleven-mile-state.html
Day Two: http://agnestakesaroadtrip.blogspot.com/2017/07/epic-road-trip-day-2-eleven-mile-state.html
Day Three: http://agnestakesaroadtrip.blogspot.com/2017/07/epic-road-trip-day-3-hornbek-homestead.html
Day Five: Day Five: http://agnestakesaroadtrip.blogspot.com/2017/07/epic-road-trip-day-5-manitou-cliff.html
Day Six: http://agnestakesaroadtrip.blogspot.com/2017/07/epic-road-trip-day-6-steamboat-lake.html
Day Seven: http://agnestakesaroadtrip.blogspot.com/2017/07/epic-road-trip-day-7-steamboat-lake.html

No comments:

Post a Comment