Sunday, July 23, 2017

Epic Road Trip - Day 6: Steamboat Lake State Park

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

My first morning at Steamboat Lake State Park in northern Colorado, I woke up around 5:30 a.m. The temperature was 30 degrees and my tent and 4-Runner were covered in frost. Bundled up in my tent, I slept great the night before breathing in the cold, mountain air.


Morning frost



As I waited for my coffee to brew, I looked out over the lake. It was spectacular! A low fog nestled into the mountains and hovered over the lake. No one was up but me and the birds. There was a tranquility in the morning air that I can't find back home. A part of me never wanted to leave.








After taking some sunrise photos of Steamboat Lake, I decided to explore the area. I took CR 62 which circles around the west side of Steamboat Lake and brings you back to the little town of Clark, Colorado.



My 2003 4-Runner has been on many adventures with me.

"Fetcher Brothers"

"Fetcher Brothers" 








Finally I circled around to the little town of Clark, Colorado. The night before I had stopped at the Clark Store to buy a roast beef sandwich for dinner. I also bought my first souvenir of the trip, a t-shirt that said, "This is my road trip shirt". I don't normally like things like that, but this one spoke to me. When I was in the store the night before, I noticed that they served breakfast so I stopped for a bite to eat. Oh my gosh! My breakfast was so delicious! Everything was seasoned and cooked perfectly. I couldn't even eat it all. While I ate, I watched as people came into the store. Everyone seemed to know each other. The Clark Post Office is located inside so several people were there to get their mail. It's a cute little general store where everyone is really friendly and you can find just about anything you need. I only took the one photo, but here is a link to their website:
http://www.clarkstore.com/




The rest of the day was spent exploring with my camera. I went up to Hahn's Peak Cemetery to look around for a bit. 





Antique tools welded to the gate of the Hahn's Peak Cemetery

After Hahn's Peak Cemetery, I drove to Pearl Lake State Park. It's only a short drive from Steamboat Lake State Park.
Pearl Lake State Park 

Pearl Lake State Park


The following are some photos taken in the evening as the sun was lowering into the sky.




This was day six of my camping trip. I suddenly realized I hadn't made a campfire yet. For one, most nights I was already heading to bed as the sun went down. But the other reason was I had no desire to make a fire. Part of the joy of a campfire is having people join you around it to talk and laugh. There's something rather lonely about sitting at a campfire by yourself. I was having the time of my life, but I was finding it to be a lonely experience. When I had cell service I would post photos of my trip on Facebook. The comments and likes from my friends and family took some of that away. I found a way to share my trip with many people and for that I am grateful.

Day One: http://agnestakesaroadtrip.blogspot.com/2017/07/epic-road-trip-day-1-eleven-mile-state.html
Day Two: http://agnestakesaroadtrip.blogspot.com/2017/07/epic-road-trip-day-2-eleven-mile-state.html
Day Three: http://agnestakesaroadtrip.blogspot.com/2017/07/epic-road-trip-day-3-hornbek-homestead.html
Day Four: http://agnestakesaroadtrip.blogspot.com/2017/07/epic-road-trip-day-4-eleven-mile-canyon.html
Day Five: http://agnestakesaroadtrip.blogspot.com/2017/07/epic-road-trip-day-5-manitou-cliff.html

1 comment: